The Cold War, Containment and Vietnam 1945-1973
Discuss the background leading to and the four phases of the Cold War from 1945-73. Identify how the Cold War was the result of shared responsibility between the USA and Soviet Union (SU). And identify how the Vietnam War was a by-product of the Cold War. Finally, discuss, the challenges the Vietnam War posed for American Society as identified by Martin Luther King Jr.
The Truman Doctrine 1947-53
Eisenhower 52-61 “Competitive Coexistence”
Nixon Vietnam 63-73
Despite a proposed slashing of U.S. Army personnel to pre-World War II levels, American military might is beyond question.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-defense-spending-by-country-2014-2#ixzz2uX09rof5
1. Identify the six reasons Dr. King provides to explain his difficult decision to come out against the war.
2. Who does he speak for, specifically, (not just the "voiceless") to address his concerns about the war in Vietnam and for Americans to better understand the conflict? Why does he feel it important to speak for these people?
3. Describe the history of how the United States got involved in Vietnam, as King explains it. How did World War II cause the war in Vietnam?
4. The speech is called "Beyond Vietnam". Why? How was, according to King, "Vietnam ... a symptom of a far deeper malady within the American spirit"
5. According to Dr. King, what would a "Radical Revolutionary of Values" entail? Offer examples and be specific.